As we may know, customers are highly sensitive and most of the time emotionally driven by desires and much more. Intelligent packaging designers will grasp this fact and convert them into strategy ideas. As useful as logic might be in a design process but it is emotion that sells a product. Psychological research of consumers has constantly proven that a majority of 85% of consumers purchase on impulse. Designs that convey emotionality through their packaging usually sticks around simplicity and authenticity to really get into the hearts of the customers. An emotionally connected design gives an edge over the sales compared to one that doesn’t because it becomes and is considered worth the customer’s time and money.
An example of an emotionally connected design:
Twist to recycle is a campaign aimed to encourage people to recycle the bottle after consuming.
- encourages people to twist the bottle before recycling them
- uses 30% less plastics
- saves the amount of recycling space up to 65%
- lighter in weight
- helps to reduce carbon emissions
- The twisting element in the packaging design also creates fun
- the sight of the packaging shrinking in size after twisting it brings up the environmental awareness
Spritzer Group (2012) ‘Drink Spritzer, Twist it and Recycle’, [Video]. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqOhkdCnhmI (Accessed: 26 August 2015).